My Sicilian heritage prevents me from disdaining leftovers. I think about it a problem to determine methods to flip leftovers into one thing completely new and sudden. And Thanksgiving is my largest problem.
There are many articles written about what to do with these leftovers, however usually I discover the strategies too recognizable as a Thanksgiving meal recycle. So I set myself this problem: to create some actually new makes use of for Thanksgiving leftovers.
I all the time make an excessive amount of cornbread dressing with oysters. I often make a turkey bone-in gumbo for Thanksgiving with the turkey carcass, leftover meat and gravy, and add a little bit andouille sausage so as to add a brand new factor of taste.
As an alternative of rice, I serve it with a scoop of dressing the way in which some folks add a scoop of potato salad to their okra. However typically I’ve made a lot additional dressing that even that huge pot of okra would not use all of it up.
So now an excessive amount of dressing turns into stuffed peppers. Relying on how a lot you’ve you possibly can stuff common pepper halves or for soccer snacks you possibly can stuff the mini peppers which at the moment are obtainable out there.
I additionally serve roasted candy potatoes of their Thanksgiving jackets. When there’s some left, I make an entire new meal. After all of the fixings of the normal Thursday meal, pasta is a superb and full change. I take advantage of candy potatoes to make a fall pasta sauce that’s each scrumptious and sudden.
And what concerning the leftover cranberry sauce? I make a fast contemporary cranberry sauce yearly with a packet of contemporary cranberries and an 8 ounce jar of pepper jelly and place them within the microwave for six minutes.
It is a scrumptious contemporary sauce that helps me deplete the pepper jelly goodies I accumulate all year long. However I all the time have some left, so I am suggesting a fast cranberry bread.
4 bell pepper halves
3 cups of stuffing
½ to 1 cup rooster broth or dry white wine
2 cups grated cheese – both Emmenthaler or Cheddar – divided
2 bell peppers any shade or a bag of child bell peppers
Olive oil for frying pan
1. Preheat the oven to 350 levels. Put the remainder of the stuffing in a bowl. In case your stuffing is sage-based (as in a canned stuffing combine), add dry white wine to loosen the combination, utilizing a fork to include the liquid. In case your stuffing is constructed from cornbread, use the rooster broth to loosen it. Use simply sufficient liquid to loosen the stuffing so it would not dry out on a second cooking.
2. In case your stuffing is sage-based, combine in 1 cup grated Emmenthaler cheese. In case your stuffing is cornbread, combine in 1 cup of cheddar cheese. (Don’t use packaged shredded cheese. It doesn’t soften correctly on this dish.)
3. Put together the peppers by halving them from the stem down. Take away seeds and stems. Divide the stuffing between the 4 pepper halves, in mounds if crucial.
4. Put together a small mildew by calmly greasing it with olive oil.
5. Place the peppers, lower facet up, within the skillet.
6. Divide the remaining cup of cheese between the 4 stuffed peppers.
7. Cowl with foil.
8. Place within the preheated oven for half-hour. Take away foil and return to oven till cheese is browned, about 10 minutes extra.
In case you are stuffing the mini peppers, place the two cups of cheese within the stuffing, then bake for 20 minutes uncovered.
Candy Potato Pasta Sauce
For 4 to six folks as an accompaniment.
3 tablespoons of olive oil
5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 roasted candy potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 cup dry white wine
1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 cup grated Parmesan or Romano or different dry-aged cheese, divided
8 ounces small dry pasta, cooked
4-6 sage leaves for garnish
1. Put the olive oil within the skillet over medium warmth.
2. When the oil begins to shimmer, about 3 minutes, add the minced garlic. Stir for 1 minute.
3. Place the candy potatoes within the pan and stir. Mash and crumble the potatoes, stirring.
4. Add the wine and proceed to separate the potatoes till they arrive collectively in a sauce.
5. Add nutmeg. Stir.
6. Flip off the warmth and add ¼ cup of cheese to the combination and stir.
7. Add the cooked pasta to the pan and blend effectively.
8. Place the pasta on a small plate and add the remainder of the cheese on prime. Garnish with entire sage leaves and serve.
Cranberry Sauce Bread
This bread will fluctuate relying on how a lot cranberry sauce you’ve left, however it’ll nonetheless be a deal with.
Makes 1 loaf.
Butter or spray to grease the bread pan
½ stick (4 tablespoons) melted butter
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup gentle brown sugar (packaged)
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 massive egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
Little ¾ cup of milk
1 teaspoon of salt
The zest of an orange
1 cup leftover home made cranberry sauce
1. Preheat the oven to 350 levels. Butter or spray the loaf pan and put aside.
2. Put the flour and sugar in a bowl and whisk collectively. Add baking powder and baking soda. Whisk once more to distribute them evenly.
3. Break the egg right into a small bowl and whisk it with a fork, then add it to a different bowl.
4. Add the melted butter, vanilla, ½ cup milk, salt and orange zest to the second bowl.
5. Add the cranberry sauce to the second bowl. If you do not have 1 cup of cranberry sauce left, add contemporary cranberries to carry the sauce to 1 cup, or add dried cranberries that you have soaked in triple sec or one other orange liqueur for half-hour, then drained to carry the extent to 1 cup. Combine the moist substances. (See be aware beneath).
6. Add the moist substances to the dry substances. Stir the combination effectively. The dough ought to be unfastened. However whether it is too dry, add the remainder of the milk. Stir.
7. Pour into ready loaf pan. Place within the preheated oven and bake for 75 to 80 minutes or till a toothpick comes out clear.
8. Depart to chill within the pan for about 20 minutes on a wire rack, then take away the bread from the pan and let cool fully. Chances are you’ll have to run a knife between the edges of the bread and the pan to loosen the bread. Cool fully earlier than slicing.
Notice: If in case you have canned cranberry sauce, warmth it in a saucepan till it melts. Measure out a cup of dried cranberries and reconstitute them with the melted cranberry sauce for half-hour. Drain the reconstituted cranberries. Add to bowl.
#Thanksgiving #Leftover #Recipes #Stuffed #Peppers #Pasta #Sauce #NOLA #eats