Makes 3 toasts (for 6-9 people)
Handling time 10 min, plus cooling. Oven time 6 min
Chef Mike Naidoo’s Shameless Crab Toast recipe elevates the classic crab sandwich to Christmas party-worthy heights with bubbles.
Mike’s story: He started, aged 15, working in a local fish and chip shop in the New Forest, then in restaurants in Hampshire before moving on to Jason Atherton’s Michelin-starred Pollen Street Social in London. Now Mike is executive chef and co-owner of Fish at the old fish market at Weymouth. Catch (upstairs) celebrates native, sustainable fish and seafood; downstairs is Weyfish fishmonger and Hatch on the Harbor seafood takeaway. @catchattheoldfishmarket
- 156 kcal
- 6.8g (2.7g saturated)
- 14g (1g sugars)
- 125 g scallops, thawed if frozen
- 100g cooked brown crabmeat
- 75 g free-range egg whites (from about 3 eggs)
- 50ml double cream
- Finely grated zest 1 lemon, plus just a little juice
- 75g cooked white crabmeat
- Massive pinch of finely chopped chives, plus additional for serving
- 6 slices of white bread
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- knob of unsalted butter
- Piping bag with a 1-2 cm nozzle/gap
- Pat the scallops dry, ensuring any extra water is eliminated (that is particularly essential if they’ve been frozen and thawed). Place the scallops and brown crabmeat in a meals processor and whisk till easy.
- Put the scallop batter in a superb mesh strainer, then use a batter scraper or steel spoon to scrape and push the combination by way of right into a bowl. Incorporate the egg whites with a spatula, then the contemporary cream. Add a pinch of salt, lemon zest and just a little lemon juice. Stir within the white crabmeat and chives, then switch the combination to a piping bag. Place within the fridge for at the least half-hour to sit back (see Make Forward).
- Warmth the oven to 150°C convection warmth/fuel 3½. Pipe the combination evenly over 3 slices of bread, overlaying them fully, then gently lay the remaining slices on prime.
- Put a big ovenproof skillet over medium warmth and add the oil and butter. As soon as frothy, gently place the sandwiches within the pan and fry for two minutes, or till the bread is golden brown (chances are you’ll have to fry the sandwiches in batches, relying on the dimensions of your pan) . Flip the sandwich very rigorously and prepare dinner for two extra minutes, then switch to the oven and prepare dinner for six minutes. Reduce the crusts with a pointy bread knife, then lower the toast into items. Sprinkle with just a few extra chives, if desired, and serve.
Mike’s suggestions Be certain your pan is not too sizzling otherwise you’ll burn the bread. Be certain your oven will not be too sizzling or the mousse will puff up and lose its form.
Scale it: Double the portions to make extra toast – as soon as cooked, they are often lower into as many items as you want. Reduce every toast in half for a decadent sandwich, or in thirds or quarters for a flowery snack or festive canapé.
You possibly can put together the dish on the finish of step 2 as much as 24 hours upfront.
Pushing the whipped scallop and crab by way of a superb sieve makes all of the distinction to the ultimate mousse. It eliminates lumps and means extra air can enter the combination, so the feel is gentle and fluffy somewhat than heavy and dense.
Subscribe to our journal
Subscribe to scrumptious. HALF PRICE journal
Be part of our e-newsletter
Crammed with menu concepts, recipes, newest contests and extra…
Misplaced my password
Enter the e-mail tackle related along with your
account, and we’ll ship you a hyperlink to reset your
E mail despatched
If an account was discovered for this e mail tackle,
we now have emailed you directions on find out how to reset your
Thanks for subscribing to our e-newsletter
Now you’ll be able to keep updated with all the most recent information, recipes and presents.
Subscribe to our journal
Subscribe to scrumptious. as we speak for simply £13.50 – it is HALF OFF!
We’ve got despatched you an activation hyperlink,
please click on on this hyperlink to activate your account.
#Crab #toast #scrumptious #journal